Birth is a normal natural bodily function for which a woman's body is well designed... Women are most likely to labor best in a place where they feel free, safe and private, with birth attendants whom they know and trust for support and guidance through the labor and birth process.
A Birth Goddess...
- Trusts in her body's ability to give birth...
- Educates herself on the birthing process...
- Knows her options...
- Researches her alternatives...
- Makes informed choices...
- Maintains a healthy lifestyle...
- Eats health consciously for her and her baby...
- Strengthens her body and mind...
- Surrounds herself with loving support...
- Embraces pregnancy, labor, birth, and motherhood.
- How do I plan on approaching my birth? (naturally, medically...)
- Where will I feel most comfortable giving birth? (home, birth center, hospital...)
- What type of caregiver suits me and my needs? (midwife, obstetrician...)
- Who will be part of my physical and emotional support? (doula,family,friends...)
- How will I educate myself on the birth process? (classes, books, internet...)
1. Who can be with me during labor and birth?
2. What happens during a normal labor and birth in your setting?
3. How do you allow for differences in culture and beliefs?
4. Can I walk and move around during labor? What position do you suggest for birth?
5. How do you make sure everything goes smoothly when my nurse, doctor, midwife, or agency need to work with each other?
6. What things do you normally do to a woman in labor?
7. How do you help mothers stay as comfortable as they can be? Besides drugs, how do you help mothers relieve the pain of labor?
8. What if my baby is born early or has special problems?
9. Do you circumcise baby boys?
10. How do you help mothers who want to breastfeed?
Compiled from The Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS- "kims")
*Please click on the underlined links for further information.
Welcome to the Birth Goddess website. Here you will find information on prenatal, childbirth, and postpartum options and alternatives that are available to women during the childbearing year, including prenatal and well woman midwifery care, midwife attended homebirth, waterbirth, birth and postpartum doula services, childbirth education, breastfeeding support, pregnancy information, and much more. Candace Leach is a California Licensed Midwife and DONA Certified Doula in Southern California, serving families in Lakewood, Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Huntington Beach, South Bay, Greater Los Angeles, Orange County, and surrounding areas. Any of the underlined words, phrases, or names on this website are links that you can click on to get more information.
- Candace Leach, LM, CPM
- Licensed Midwife & Certified Doula
- PO Box 4714 Lakewood, CA 90711
© Candace Leach, LM, CPM 1996 - 2012